Credit cards have now become a more convenient form of transaction. In South Africa, credit cards are bank cards in which charges are made against a line of credit instead of the account holder having to carry cash around. Having a credit card will require one to pay their card fees on time and regularly to build a good credit score.
BELOW ARE SOME OF THE BEST CREDIT CARDS IN SOUTH AFRICA:
1. STANDARD BANK TITANIUM CREDIT CARD
Professionals and recent graduates are the best candidates for the Standard Bank Titanium Credit Card. To gain access, you must be 18 years old or older and earn a monthly salary of R25 000 or more. It also applies if you earn R5000 per month and have a 3-year undergraduate and postgraduate degree.
STANDARD BANK TITANIUM CREDIT FEATURES:
- R79 monthly fee.
- R250 000 credit limit.
- 15% off offline purchases.
- Mastercard Priceless specials.
- Free Basic travel insurance
- 20% off Emirates flights
- Booking.com cashback
- 15% off international car rentals
- (For wine lovers) Get 15 % off when you purchase at the Wine-of-Month-Club
- Earn UCount Reward Points wherever you shop.
2. BLUEBEAM BLACK CREDIT CARD
Bluebeam Credit Card is a division of Standard Bank which allows one to apply for their Credit at either institution. One is able to use their card wherever a Mastercard sign is displayed.
BLUEBEAM BLACK CREDIT CARD FEATURES:
- 55 Days’ interest fee credit on balances paid in full.
- Use cards at filling stations.
- Access to Bluebeam Lifestyle benefits.
- Secure Online Shopping.
- A convenient debit order to automatically pay your account every month.
- Automatic bill payment.
- Free International emergency card replacement.
- Accident and health insurance.
- Free lost card protection.
3. AFRICAN BANK GOLD CREDIT CARD
The African Bank Gold Credit Card gives the safest and most convenient way to purchase.
FEATURES OF A AFRICAN BANK GOLD CREDIT CARD:
- No charges in any store in South Africa.
- Covered with the African Bank Life Insurance.
- Emergency services.
- Medical and Legal referral
- 3% interest back.
4. CAPITEC CREDIT CARD
Now known as the Capitec Black Card, the Capitec Credit Card is accessible to anyone above the age of 18, employed and earning from R3000 per month. Higher earners with a good credit score can be granted a credit amount of up to R250 000.
FEATURES OF A CAPITEC CREDIT CARD:
- 55 Days interest-free period.
- Personalised credit based on
- Cashless payments worldwide.
- Zero fees on online purchases.
- Manage card on App.
- A monthly service fee of R40.00.
- Interest Rate of between 7.00% and 17.50% per annum
5. ABSA STUDENT CREDIT CARD
The Absa student credit is accessible to anyone with a minimum monthly income or allowance of R800, valid South African ID book, or smart card proof of residence, students can attain credit cards as well.
FEATURES OF A ABSA STUDENT CREDIT CARD:
- Digital Banking
- Travel Insurance
- Free lost card protection
- ABSA rewards
- Exclusive Visa benefits
- No Transaction fees on purchases
6. NEDBANK PLATINUM CREDIT CARD
One may ask, why choose a Nedbank platinum credit card? Simple, the credit card offers great credit options and gives card rewards to its clients.
Features and Benefits of A Platinum Credit Card
- R57 monthly service fee
- Credit facility fee from R26 monthly
- Complimentary replacement card
- Zero charges on card swipes
- Manage your card with the Online App or Online Banking
- Scan to Pay using QR codes
- Link your card to any of the following (Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Samsung Pay or Garmin Pay.)
- Use your card in-store, online, at ATMs or abroad
- For those who love to eat out or travel, it also offers great restaurant deals, discounts on car hire, flights and accommodation as well as travel insurance of up to 3million.
7. NEDBANK GOLD CREDIT CARD
For your minimal transactions, the Nedbank Gold Account is the way to go. One may get a Savvy Plus Account with the option to add more benefits when you need them. To qualify, you need to be 18 years or older and earn a monthly income of R3000 not from a trust, company, or legal entity.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES OF A NEDBANK GOLD CREDIT CARD
- A Gold cheque card
- Unlimited card swipes
- Unlimited stop/ debit orders
- Unlimited cash withdrawals at point-of-sale devices at participating retailers
- eNotes (SMS notifications).
- The option of an overdraft facility
- Quick and secure access to Send -imali
8. FNB GOLD CREDIT CARD
To qualify for an FNB Gold Credit card you need to be 18 years or older and earn between R120 000 AND 340 000 annually.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES OF THE GOLD CREDIT CARD
- 8% fixed interest rate
- R4.95 monthly fee
- Unlimited free swipes and can withdraw cash from selected supermarkets
- Free Cellphone banking subscriptions
- -online banking
- -telephone banking
- FNB Banking App
- Higher credit limit between R10 000 and R60 000
- 55 days interest-free
- Double ebucks on purchases
- 15% back in ebucks when one purchases at Shoprite/Checkers
- 15% back in ebucks when one purchases prepaid electricity or airtime through FNB
- Free Global Travel Insurance
- 15% back in ebucks when one fills up with fuel at any filling station or when using Uber domestically
- Double ebucks when shopping online
9. DISCOVERY PLATINUM BANK CREDIT CARD
DISCOVERY BANK FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- 55 Days interest-free.
- Control your fees by only paying as you transact.
- Interest rates up to 7.90%.
- Vitality active rewards.
- Free Travel Insurance on International tickets purchased with your Discovery Platinum Card.
- Earn Discovery Miles currency for getting healthy, driving well and spending responsibly.
- You may make withdrawals from Checkers, Pick n Pay, Shoprite and selected Spar stores.
- Withdrawal limits may vary from one merchant to another.
- Up to 24 months free warranty extension as well as a short-term protection against theft and accidental damage
- Pay any of your contacts who are Discovery Clients with DISCOVERY PAY.ppp
- Make purchases worldwide as well as withdrawals from all Visa Accepting ATMs.
- Get 3% interest on your positive balance
- Pay up to 4% less on your borrowing rate
- Emergency card replacement
- Emergency cash