Izwe is a major loan provider in Africa, offering student loans, building loans, and debt consolidation loans. The company operates in four African countries, one of which is South Africa, which also has the most branches of all the countries in which it operates.
Izwe provides student loans to students pursuing higher education. Anyone who is enrolled at a post-secondary institution and makes a livelihood can apply for the loan. Student loans of up to R250,000.00 are available to cover educational costs.
Izwe is a member of the RCS group and has underwritten loans totalling more than $500 million ( R7.8bn) since its inception. Customers can be confident that they are banking with a respectable financial institution. The borrowed funds can be used to cover all of a student’s educational expenses, such as tuition, textbooks, and stationery.
Since the loan industry in South Africa is dominated by big banks, Izwe Student Loans are not very popular. Before visiting an Izwe branch, here is some more information to assist you to learn more about the Izwe Student Loan.
Izwe Student loan summary
Anyone pursuing tertiary courses and earning a monthly wage of R2000.00 or more is eligible for an Izwe Student Loan. The loan starts at R1000.00 and can go up to R250,000.00 for tertiary education. The loan has a 12-month minimum repayment duration and a 60-month maximum payback period.
The maximum interest rate charged by Izwe Student Loan is 27.75 % per year, compounded monthly, with a minimum interest rate of 15%. An initiation fee of R936.00 is required when applying for an Izwe Student loan. In addition, the Izwe loan has a R69.00 monthly account fee that must be paid as long as the loan account is operational.
Izwe Student Loan has flexible payback options, and the organization is willing to work with clients to make instalments that are based on their income level. Interest rates are also subject to credit vetting, so those with a good credit score are more likely to receive lower interest rates.
Since its licensing in South Africa, Izwe has been able to fund over 150 000 students. The company is registered with the NCR (National Credit Regulator) and the FSCA (Financial Sector Conduct Authority), therefore it can be trusted to follow the lending guidelines set forth by these government agencies.
How does the Izwe Student loan work?
Izwe Student Loans can be applied for in-person or online at an Izwe branch near you. The application procedure is quick and simple. Within 30 minutes, one can receive feedback on the status of their application through the Izwe branch. This is after one’s information has been processed and all the required documents have been received.
Izwe’s loan amount will be determined by your earnings, as well as other underwriting variables. The money should be available for disbursement within 72 hours of approval.
The money you receive can subsequently be used to pay for tuition and other educational expenditures. To ensure that all educational and other related expenses are covered, items such as stationary, tuition fees, housing, and more can be purchased.
The borrowed funds must be repaid with an interest rate ranging from 15% to 27.75 %. The repayment term for the Izwe loan is 60 months; however, the borrower will decide the repayment period, which must still fall within the maximum repayment period.
As long as the loan account is active, a monthly account fee of R69.00 will be charged. Following your loan instalments, you will receive a letter of settlement acknowledging the full repayment of the debt.
Advantages of the Izwe Student loan
- The loan can be used to pay for not only tuition but also additional study-related expenses like computers and stationery.
- The application process is simple and can be completed online or in person at any Izwe location in South Africa.
- The loan is appealing to people who require speedy student loans because funds are released within 72 hours of approval.
- The maximum loan amount available is considerable, allowing many South Africans to pursue more expensive degrees.
- For someone with a low income, the payback period is longer, which can be advantageous.
- The R2000.00 minimum income requirement is low, considering that many student loans require R3000.00 or more in income.
- Undergraduates and postgraduates can apply for the loan and get funded.
- Full time and part-time students can access the loan.
Disadvantages of the Izwe Student loan
- The loan comes with a very high minimum interest rate of 15% as compared to banks offering a minimum interest rate of 6.75% – 10.25%.
- The loan has a relatively very high maximum interest rate of 27.75% which is very high when comparing student loans in South Africa.
Requirements of the Izwe Student loan
- Must have a South African ID book or Smart card.
- Be over the age of 18 years at the time of application.
- Be permanently employed.
- Must have a monthly income of more than R2000.00 per month.
- Have proof of income such as a recent payslip and a 3 months bank statement showing salary deposits.
- Provide proof of residence that is not older than 3 months at the time of application.
The Izwe Student Loan is a good loan choice for anyone who needs to finance their studies quickly. Since the student loan has such a high-interest rate, applicants should ensure that they have a very good credit score when applying for it in order to secure the best interest rate possible.