The RCS Card is a store credit card that can be used in more than 30 000 South African stores and requires a once off initiation fee of R150.00. The credit card provides a revolving credit facility ranging from R750.00 to R50,000.00. An administration fee of 10% charged, with a maximum of R1,207.00. The credit card company charges an annual interest rate of up to 24.50%.
The RCS card allows for up to 55 days of interest-free credit. When using their credit card, cardholders have a variety of payment options. Revolving, 24 or 36-month budget plans are available for the RCS card. Repayment options are available for purchases of R600.00 or more.
Difference between RCS Credit Card and RCS Loan
It is important to understand the distinction between RCS Credit Card and RCS Loan:
The RCS Store Credit Card is a standard credit card, whereas the RCS Loan is a personal loan facility ranging from R2,000.00 to R150,000.00 and it is available to South Africans over the age of 18 who earn R2,000.00 per month or more. The RCS Loan Application can be completed online at the company’s website or by phone call on 0861 729 727.
How does an RCS credit card work?
An RCS credit card is a store credit card that is issued by some network stores. RCS issues credit cards, which are not branded and only bear the RCS logo. However, if issued through a network store, such as Makro, the credit card will include the Makro company logo and branding.
The credit card can be used to purchase goods or services from any network store. It is accepted in 30,000 stores across South Africa’s nine provinces. When applying for an RCS store credit card, one must select a budget plan that will determine how long it will take to repay the debt.
A budget plan can go as high as 36 months or as short as six months. A lower budget plan includes a low-interest rate that is payable because debt is settled in the shortest amount of time. The allocation of credit is determined by one’s income and credit score.
Those with a high income may be eligible for a credit of up to R50,000.00. The smallest amount of credit available is R750.00. Credit used on the RCS credit card comes with a 55-day interest-free grace period to encourage borrowers to pay off their debt in less than two months after using their credit.
RCS credit card features
- Monthly statements are free and can be sent via SMS or email.
- Customer protection insurance is included to protect the account holder from fraud and theft.
- Access to cash based on the credit limit.
- Credit ranging from R750.00 to R50,000.00.
- All purchases made with the RCS credit card are eligible for free SMS notifications.
- The RCS app, which is available on the App Store and Google Play Store, is available to users.
- The credit card is accepted in over 26 000 stores throughout South Africa.
- The credit card comes with a grace period during which no interest is charged.
- Can be used for in-store purchases as well as select online purchases.
How to access cash with the RCS store credit card
Any RCS credit card holder with a credit facility can access cash. Cash can be obtained by dialing 0861 729 727. Another option is to use the self-service feature of the RCS mobile app and follow the step-by-step guide to apply for a cash advance.
To gain access to cash, you must be first assessed to see if you qualify for a cash advance. If you meet the criteria, money will be deposited into your account.
The following are the minimum requirements:
- Account not being in arrears.
- The account must be older than 3 months at the time of application.
Cash advances are subject to stricter regulations. Cash advances are only permitted on certain repayment plans and are included in your monthly payments. Furthermore, from time to time, a minimum and/or maximum amount of borrowing may be imposed.
- It can be used to purchase a variety of goods and services.
- By swiping the card, users can gain access to money or make payments.
- Payments can be made online at certain stores.
- Usable credit increases as usage and income grow.
- A large amount of credit can be assessed, which betters most store cards that are available in South Africa.
- The credit card does not require applicants to have a lot of money to qualify for the card.
- RCS has an app that can be used to track spending, make payments, and make account adjustments.
- The account’s interest rate is excessively high.
- Credit defaults can result in high-interest charges, especially for those who borrowed a large sum of money.
- Users cannot earn rewards with the credit card and must rely solely on store promotions.
- The credit card is not as secure as other credit cards, and it must only be accompanied by some form of identification when used in stores requiring no password.
RCS Card Application
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age on the date of application.
- They must be in possession of a South African ID book, smart card, or driver’s license.
- At the time of application, you must have proof of income that is no more than three months old.
- You must be gainfully employed and earn R1,000 per month or more.
- At the time of application, you must have proof of residence that is no more than three months old.
The RCS card can be applied for online at the RCS website or in any partner store. You must have the above-mentioned documents, have a good credit score and meet the minimum income requirement to be eligible for the RCS card.
List of Stores That Accepts RCS Card
- American Swiss
- Alert Steel & Build
- American Menswear Lifestyle
- Appliance Direct
- Arthur Kaplan
- Baby Boom
- Battery Centre
- Beaver Canoe
- Bed City
- Bidvest Waltons
- Bosch Service
- Boxer Build
- Brand Mania
- Bride & Co
- Call It Spring
- Candi & Co
- Cape Union Mart
- Cash Converters
- Cash Crusaders
- Charles & Keith
- Choice CLothing
- Express Stores
- Computer Corporation
- De Jagers
- Decofurn Factory Shop
- Dial a Bed
- Dino Bigioni
- Dunlop Zone
- Ear Institute
- Essential Hardware
- Exclusive Books
- Fair Price
- Falco Milano
- Forever 21
- Forver New
- Furniture City
- Galaxy &Co.
- Home Depot
- Incredible Connection
- Intec College
- Mens Clinic International
- Mr Price
- Spec Savers
- Sportsmans Warehouse
- Webbers Clothing & Footwear
- OG Glass
- Pick n Pay
Which Petrol Stations Accept Account RCS Cards?
- At any of the 1280 Engen Garages in South Africa, or
- Any of over 650 Shell Garages in South Africa
RCS Credit Card FAQ
Q1: What is an RCS credit card?
A1: The RCS credit card is a financial product offered by RCS, a South African-based consumer finance business. The card allows cardholders to make purchases at a variety of retailers and pay back the amount over a flexible repayment period, with additional benefits and features to enhance the shopping experience.
Q2: How do I apply for an RCS credit card?
A2: To apply for an RCS credit card, you can visit the RCS website and fill out the online application form. Alternatively, you can apply at any participating retail partner. You will need to provide your personal information, proof of income, and a copy of your ID during the application process.
Q3: What is the eligibility criteria for an RCS credit card?
A3: To be eligible for an RCS credit card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid South African ID
- Earn a minimum monthly income (as specified by RCS)
- Provide proof of income and address
- Have a good credit record
Q4: What is the credit limit on an RCS credit card?
A4: The credit limit on an RCS credit card varies depending on your financial situation and credit score. Credit limits can range from a few thousand Rand to over R100,000. RCS will determine your credit limit during the application process.
Q5: How long does it take to receive my RCS credit card after approval?
A5: Once your application has been approved, it typically takes between 7 to 14 business days to receive your RCS credit card. The card will be sent to the address provided during the application process.
Q6: Where can I use my RCS credit card?
A6: You can use your RCS credit card at over 26,000 retail stores nationwide that display the RCS logo. Some of these retailers include Game, Makro, and Builders Warehouse. You can find a list of participating retailers on the RCS website.
Q7: What are the interest rates and fees associated with an RCS credit card?
A7: The interest rates and fees for an RCS credit card may vary depending on your credit profile. Typical fees include a monthly service fee, an initiation fee, and interest rates that are in line with the National Credit Act. For up-to-date information on fees and interest rates, visit the RCS website or consult your card agreement.
Q8: How can I make payments on my RCS credit card?
A8: You can make payments on your RCS credit card through a variety of methods, including:
- Debit order from your bank account
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- Paying at a participating retailer
- Using the RCS mobile app
Q9: How can I check my RCS credit card balance?
A9: You can check your RCS credit card balance by:
- Logging into your online account on the RCS website
- Using the RCS mobile app
- Calling the RCS customer service helpline
Q10: What should I do if my RCS credit card is lost or stolen?
A10: If your RCS credit card is lost or stolen, immediately contact the RCS customer service helpline to report the incident and request a replacement card. They will guide you through the necessary steps to secure your account and prevent unauthorized transactions.
An RCS credit card provides users with a plethora of shopping options and can be used in a variety of ways. The card is an excellent choice for purchasing household items and retaining liquid funds throughout the month. Inability to use credit wisely may result in users becoming over-indebted. Always use your credit card wisely and think before you spend.