Ackermans is a clothing retail store in Southern Africa that offers affordable clothing brands. The Ackermans account allows individuals to have credit in one of South Africa’s oldest clothing retail stores, which was founded in 1916.
The store sells high-quality clothing at a low cost. According to the South African Consumer Satisfaction Index, Ackermans is the second-best clothing store in South Africa, after Woolworths. As a customer, you can expect the best treatment in the country if you open an account with Ackermans.
Customers are not only satisfied with the Ackermans brand; the company also has over 700 stores nationwide, making it convenient for customers to shop. As a result, regardless of where you live in South Africa, you can easily find an Ackermans store.
Before you open an Ackermans account for yourself, you should first become acquainted with a few things. The sections that follow will explain what an Ackermans account is and how it works.
What is an Ackermans account?
Ackermans Account is a store credit card that can be used at any Ackermans location or its retail partners. Some of the retail partners with whom Ackermans has collaborated include Pepkor-owned stores. Ackermans, Shoe City, Refinery, and Dunns are among the stores where the Ackermans account can be used.
The account has a monthly service fee of R9.95. This service fee is added to the account’s coverage for temporary disability, death, and retrenchment. If the insured events occur, your Ackermans account will be settled, and your estate will be protected from Ackermans credit.
The account comes with more benefits at an extra cost. One can pay an extra R14.50 per month to join the Ackermans club. The Ackermans club comes with the following benefits:
- Every other month, subscribers receive a monthly club magazine.
- Every other month, members can participate in giveaways and bursaries worth up to R50,000.00.
- The funeral cover for club members is R10,000.00. The R10,000.00 is divided into two parts: up to R6,000.00 for the club member and up to R4,000.00 for the club member’s partner.
- Members receive a 20% discount on GP consultations at network hospitals across the country.
- Access to the Dial-a-Teacher service to assist members’ children with their after-school work such as exam preparation, projects, studying, and more.
Account-holders are also given the option of purchasing a family protection plan. The family protector plan is a funeral plan that covers the primary member, his or her partner, and their children. This is optional and can be added at any time by any member.
How does the Ackermans Account Work
The Ackermans account, like any other store account, allows users to make purchases at any Ackermans location. Users can also use the account to make purchases at any Ackermans partner store, such as Shoe City, Refinery, or Dunns.
The first step toward obtaining an Ackermans account is to apply for one. Ackermans will provide the applicant with details of their application, including the amount allocated as credit, if their application is successful.
The credit amount can be used to make purchases at stores that accept the Ackermans account. Credit drawn from the account must be repaid within 12 months. To avoid paying high interest on the account, one can repay their credit before the 12-month window expires in order to benefit from paying low interest.
Failure to repay the outstanding amount payable for any month will result in an account being in arrears. This has a negative impact on one’s credit score, and it is best to notify Ackermans as soon as possible that payment will not be made as scheduled to avoid a negative impact on one’s credit profile.
If you do not communicate, the account will be turned over to debt collectors. Debt collection will raise the total amount owed because administration fees will be charged. Always keep your account up to date and make any necessary payments.
How to manage an Ackermans Account
People nowadays prefer to manage their accounts remotely, thanks to the internet and cell phones. There are two methods for remotely maintaining your account. Remote account management options include:
Using a USSD
The first method is to use a USSD code to manage your account. One can use their cellphone to access their account for free by entering an applicable USSD code. The USSD code allows you to see your outstanding balance by viewing a mini statement, checking how much money is owed, applying for more credit, and changing how you receive your statements.
Whatsapp can also be used to manage Ackerman’s account. Account-holders can use Whatsapp to view their account balance, adjust their account limit, upload documents, and check the status of their applications. Account-holders can also use Whatsapp to chat with an agent or request a callback.
Advantages of the Ackermans Account
- There are multiple stores where the account can be used, giving buyers a much broader range of product options.
- Pensioners and those on government grants earning at least R1,250.00 per month are also eligible for the account.
- Those who do not receive payslips and are not formally employed but have proof of income, such as a bank statement, can open an Ackermas account.
- There are several ways to gain remote access to your account.
- At any time, one can apply for additional credit.
- Account-holders can join the Ackermans club for a low cost and gain access to a plethora of benefits.
Disadvantages of the Ackermans Account
- When compared to other clothing retailers such as Truworths, there are fewer stores to choose from.
- The account only includes clothing partners, with no other partners offering non-related goods or services.
- Applicants must at least be 18 years or older at the time of application.
- Must have a South African ID book or Smart card.
- Proof of income that is not older than 3 months at the time of application, and proof of income is set as follows for these types of employees:
- Permanent Employees must have 3 months payslips or latest 3 months bank statements,
- Contract employees must have 3 months payslips or 3 months bank statements,
- Self-employed individuals must possess 3 months bank statements,
- Domestic workers must have 3 months payslips, or 3 months bank statement, or an employment confirmation form, and
- Pensioners must present a 3 months bank statement or other forms of proof.
- Proof of residence that is not older than 3 months at the time of application.
If you’re looking for a cheap clothing store account, the Ackermans account is a good option. Because the retailer does not charge interest on any account with no used credit, you can use it whenever you want without incurring any additional costs.