The FNBy Bank account is a bank account designed specifically for children and people under the age of 25. To be eligible for the FNBy account, you must be 25 years old or younger, and your parents must be FNB online banking customers. When you use your FNBy card to make a purchase, you can earn up to 40% back in eBucks points with the FNBy Bank account. Unlike any other FNB bank account, the FNBy Bank account is designed particularly for the younger generation, with low fees and rates.
FNBy Bank Account Summary
The FNBy bank account is a check account for young people in South Africa aged 25 and under. The card costs R0.00 per month for minors under the age of 18 and R12.00 per month for people over the age of 18 but under the age of 25. To activate your FNBy bank account, you must first make a deposit of at least R100.00. While the FNBy account is geared toward younger customers, it functions similarly to other FNB accounts, allowing users to access their accounts at any time.
The FNBy Bank account grants you access to the FNB banking app, which allows you to view and manage your purchasing vouchers, eBucks account, identify eBucks partners, transact, transfer, do day-to-day banking, and purchase prepaid. If you are under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or adult to open an account. This is because your parent(s)/guardian must give FNB permission to open a bank account for you as a minor.
FNBy Islamic Transact account
The FNBy Islamic Transactional account is a full-featured transaction account that is linked to a parent account. The card has R0.00 banking charges for all accounts. The only difference between this account and a regular FNBy bank account is that the monthly bank costs are higher. For all qualifying individuals, the FNBy Islamic transact account has no monthly fee, but the FNBy Bank Account has a monthly fee of R12.00 for those aged 18 to 25.
FNBy Bank Account Benefits
|What the Under 18 gets||What the 18 to 25 gets|
|Free unlimited swipes with the FNBy debit card||Free unlimited swipes|
|Have an option to redirect fees to parent’s or guardian’s account||Has a free e-wallet balance enquiry|
|The account has free unlimited electronic transfers and payments||Free electronic transfers and payments|
|Access to the FNB App 24/7||Comes with free subscriptions to all digital channels, zero data charges when using FNB App|
|Free subscription to all digital channels, zero data charges when using the FNB App||Access to the FNB App 24/7 at no extra cost|
|Free balance enquiries when using the FNB App||Free card delivery anywhere in South Africa|
|InContact transactional messages will be sent to your parent or guardian||You receive account activity alerts through SMS|
|Access to 100% of your money with a day’s notice at no cost||Once you turn 18, you get access to FNB’s full range of cash investment solutions.|
|You receive interest on balances above R100.00||You can get up to 1GB back in data on FNB Connect Airtime, voice, data or SMS purchases from your FNBy account|
|40% off on selected local and international flights through eBucks travel|
|If under the age of 2, you qualify for the main family member discounts|
|Comes with 100% guarantees on deposits and quoted returns|
|Have an option to reinvest your interest or redirect it to another bank account|
|There are no monthly transactional fees|
|You can get up to 1GB back in data on FNB Connect Airtime, voice, data or SMS purchases from your FNBy account|
FNBy Account Fees 2022
|# Fee description||Under 18||18 to 25|
|Monthly account fee||R0.00||R12.00|
|FNB App, online banking and cellphone banking subscription fee||Free||Free|
|FNB ATM||R8.00 per R1000.00||Free up to R1500.00, thereafter R2.00 per R100.00|
|Cardless cash withdrawal fee||R8.00 per R1000.00||Free up to R1500.00, thereafter R2.00 per R100.00|
|Other banks’ ATMs||R12.00 R1000.00||R10 + R2.00 per R100.00|
|International branch||R80.00 + R2.50 per R100.00||R80.00 + R2.50 per R100.00|
|Cash deposit at FNB ATMs||R1.10 per R100.00||R3,000.00 free, thereafter R1.10 per R100.00|
|Cash deposit at FNB branch||R80.00 + R2.50 per R100.00||R80.00 + R2.50 per R100.00|
|Cheque deposit at FNB branch and ATM||R60.00 + R11.00 per cheque (Max R150.00)||R60.00 + R11.00 per cheque (Max R150.00)|
|Pay with your card||Free||Free|
|Commission and currency conversion fee||2.75% of the transaction value||2.75% of the transaction value|
|Internal and external debit orders||N/a||Free|
|Prepaid purchases on eChannels||Free||Free|
|Buying prepaid at other banks’ ATMs||R15.00||R15.00|
Competitive Advantages of the FNBy Bank Account
- The account comes with many free services such as free withdrawals at tills, prepaid purchases using echannels, etc.
- Monthly account fee is low.
- The older you get the more transactional benefits you receive with increased account spending limits.
- You can get the same eBucks reward percentage like that of your parent or guardian without having to work up the eBucks rewards ladder.
- The account comes with free data depending on how much you transact.
- The FNBy debit cards come with Islamic banking option that doesn’t charge account fees.
- Come with unlimited swipes.
Competitive Disadvantages of the FNBy Bank Account
- Only encourages users to get cash at a till instead of an ATM.
- The account has a high commission and currency conversion rate for a younger youth account.
- You need to have a parent or guardian using the FNB App.
- If younger than 18 years, you need to link your account to that of your guardian or parent.
How to apply
- You must be a South African.
- If younger than 18 years, you must go with a parent or guardian to open the FNBy Bank Account.
- Your parent or guardian is required to be registered for online banking.
- You must have a copy of your parent’s valid South African ID.
- You must also have the child’s birth certificate or a valid South African ID.
- Proof of residence not older than 3 months and signed a declaration of proof of residence per child.
FNB’s FNBy Bank Account is one of the most effective methods to introduce your child to banking and save money. FNB pays account holders based on the number of years they have banked with them, thus if you have a FNBy bank account, FNB will reward you generously by allowing you access to loans as soon as you reach 18 or start earning an income.