AIG Personal Travel Insurance is a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for emergency expenses, with a limit starting at R1,000,000.00. The policy is activated when leaving South Africa for a specific destination and is valid for a maximum of 90 days.
AIG travel insurance is available for travel in over 100 countries worldwide. Policyholders can add members to the plan who will travel with them and benefit from the travel insurance.
The travel insurance can be canceled at any time before it starts. AIG provides policyholders with a 15-day cooling-off period and a full refund if they are not satisfied with the product. Refunds are available if the policyholder has not made a claim.
The coverage of AIG Personal Travel Insurance begins immediately after the premium is paid. Those who travel frequently can take advantage of the 12-month frequent flyer policy, which includes automatic activation when flying.
When the policyholder arrives in South Africa, the plan automatically terminates. It should be noted that the policyholder is not covered if they are in South Africa.
Customers can choose from a variety of AIG Personal Travel Insurance plans based on their travel insurance requirements. We cover the travel insurance plans below.
AIG Personal Travel Insurance Plans
AIG Personal Travel Insurance is a personal travel insurance policy that covers emergency medical expenses as well as personal accidents. The cover starts at R1 million and goes up to unlimited coverage.
When filing a claim, an excess payment starting from R350.00 is payable for emergency medical expenses. The excess amount is determined by the type of claim made.
The AIG Personal Travel Insurance has three plans to choose from:
Silver Travel Insurance Plan Gold Travel Insurance Plan Platinum Travel Insurance Plan
These AIG travel insurance plans are discussed as follows.
AIG Silver Travel Insurance Plan
The Silver travel insurance plan provides the least amount of coverage of any plan offered by the insurer. The plan covers R1 million in emergency medical expenses.
When making a claim on insured journeys lasting less than 6 months, an excess of R350.00 is required. Those who travel for more than 6 months must pay an excess fee of R1,500.00 when claiming emergency medical expenses.
The Silver travel insurance offers cover for these expenses to the following maximums:
Optical Expenses for Illness Coverage up to R2,000.00 Dental expenses incurred as a result of illness, up to a maximum of R2,000.00 A hospital confinement benefit of R500.00 per day, up to a maximum of R1,500.00 Follow-up treatment in South Africa is covered up to a maximum of R5,000.00 Personal Accident terrorism extension up to R50,000.00 Air-only public conveyance is covered up to R50,000.00
The cover also includes coverage for baggage, money, credit cards, traveler’s cheques, and baggage delay to a certain maximum.
The AIG Gold travel insurance plan
n is a mid-tier plan that provides coverage for medical emergencies up to R25 million. For insured journeys of less than 6 months, an excess payment of R350.00 is required. When claiming, journeys of 6 months or more incur an excess fee of R1,500.00.
The plan includes the following coverage:
- Optical Expenses for Illness Coverage up to R10,000.00.
- Dental expenses incurred as a result of illness, up to a maximum of R10,000.00.
- Hospital confinement benefit of R500.00 per day, up to a maximum of R10,000.00.
- Follow-up treatment in South Africa covered up to a maximum of R10,000.00.
- Personal Accident terrorism extension up to R300,000.00.
- Air-only public conveyance covered up to R500,000.00.
AIG Platinum Travel Insurance
AIG platinum travel insurance provides unlimited coverage for unexpected medical expenses. The service includes assistance with lost passports, specialized coverage for extreme sports, emergency lodging, and other benefits.
Here are some of the AIG Platinum travel insurance coverage amounts:
- Optical Expenses for Illness Coverage up to R20,000.00.
- Dental expenses incurred as a result of illness, up to a maximum of R20,000.00.
- Hospital confinement benefit of R500.00 per day, up to a maximum of R15,000.00.
- Follow-up treatment in South Africa covered up to a maximum of R15,000.00.
- Personal Accident terrorism extension up to R650,000.00.
- Air-only public conveyance covered up to R500,000.00.
AIG Personal Travel Insurance Exclusions
AIG Personal Travel Insurance has a number of activity-based exclusions and more. Before purchasing travel insurance, you should become acquainted with these exclusions as they lead to unsuccessful claims.
The following are the exclusions from AIG Personal Travel Insurance:
- Traveling locally
- Local medical costs
- Certain conditions apply to the accidental death of a child.
- Terrorist organization members
- Drug dealers or smugglers of weapons of mass destruction
- People traveling to or through Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Syria, the Crimea, Angola, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Nigeria, the Philippines, Somalia, or Venezuela on active duty or in training
- Travelers to countries/regions where the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and/or the South African Department of Foreign Affairs have issued travel advisories
- People traveling to areas where UN Armed Forces are present and/or active
- Extreme sports holidays (cover for these holidays is available, but full details of planned activities are required).
Exclusions on AIG Personal Travel Insurance are strictly not insured, and a claim cannot be successful if one or more occur. It is preferable for an insured party to avoid these exclusions while covered by the plan.
Advantages of AIG Personal Travel Insurance
- There are 3 covers to choose from.
- It can be canceled at any time.
- Cover can be activated online.
- Cover starts immediately upon payment.
- There are many incidents that the plan covers.
- The travel insurance can be used in over 100 countries.
- The product allows the main member to add other members.
Disadvantages of AIG Personal Travel Insurance
- Covid-19 related illnesses are not covered.
- It cannot be used where the British foreign and Commonwealth Office and/or the South African Department of Foreign Affairs has issued a travel warning.
AIG Personal travel insurance offers its subscribers a comprehensive travel insurance that covers various aspects of travel. The plan should be taken with care because it contains numerous exclus