Discovery home contents insurance is a type of insurance that covers home valuables for a set amount. The Discovery home contents insurance does not require an excess payment for forced entry, theft, or weather-related claims. When purchasing Discovery home contents insurance, the insured must list the contents to be covered.
Discovery Insure provides home contents insurance to protect a larger number of household possessions from loss or damage. The insurance solution allows one to cover the contents of their home at their risk address. Household contents are only covered if they are inside the house listed at the address on the insured home contents policy.
The Discovery Home Contents Insurance protects the contents of a building made of brick, stone, or concrete and covered by a roof made of slate, tile, concrete, fibrous cement, or metal, or, with agreement, a building of non-standard construction such as wood or thatch.
Since Home Contents Insurance covers the contents of various types of houses, there are various insurance policies to choose from. Discovery Insure offers the following home and contents insurance products:
- Discovery Classic Home Contents Insurance,
- Discovery Essential Home Contents Insurance, and
- Discovery Purple Home Contents Insurance.
These home contents insurance plans are discussed in detail below.
Discovery Home Contents Insurance Plans
Discovery Home Contents Insurance solution has numerous plans that are available to customers. Customers can choose a plan based on how much coverage they want for their home contents. Plans available include the essential plan, classical plan, and purple plan.
Here are the Discovery Home Contents Insurance plans:
The Discovery Insure Essential home contents plan is home contents cover that covers policy owners against:
- Fire, lightning, and explosion,
- Storm, rain, hail, snow, or flood,
- Power surge,
- Earthquake, and
- Malicious damage.
The Essential home contents plan has an optional accidental and power surge damage buy-up. Should a power cut or load shedding take place and you suffer a loss because of that power surge such as deteriorated food in the fridge, Discovery Insure will replace the food.
The Discovery Essential plan covers theft or damages incurred during an attempted theft to home contents. However, should there be no signs of forced entry inside the home, theft cover becomes limited. The cover further include cover for bursting, leaking, or overflowing of geysers, water or oil apparatus, or pipes.
The cover also include loss or damage as a result of:
- Aircraft and other aerial devices or anything that falls on home contents,
- Falling trees – cover exclude damage or loss as a result of trees falling which are cut by non-professional tree fellers, and
- The collapse of television aerials, masts, and satellite dishes
In terms of the amount covered per incident, Discovery Classic home contents insurance provides better coverage for home contents. The classic plan includes an optional accidental and power surge damage buy-up for an additional premium. The buy-up for accidental and power surge damage covers the loss as a result of power surge.
Discovery classic home contents insurance covers the loss of home contents caused by fire, lightning, or explosions. The classic plan also includes coverage for natural disasters such as storms, rain, wind, hail, snow, earthquakes, and floods.
The classic plan covers home contents if they are destroyed or damaged by the following:
- Vehicles collision,
- Aircraft and other aerial devices or anything that falls from them,
- Falling of trees except in the event of trees being cut by non-professional tree fellers, and
- The collapse of television aerials, masts, and satellite dishes.
Discovery Purple home contents insurance plan provides the broadest co4ver than the other plans for home contents insurance at Discovery Insure. The purple plan covers the following:
- Accidental and power surge damage buy up,
- Fire, lightning, and explosion,
- Storm, rain, wind, snow, and flood,
- Power surge,
- Malicious damage,
- Theft or attempted theft with signs of forced entry,
- Bursting, leaking, or overflowing of geysers, water or oil apparatus or pipes,
- Impact on the house that causes home contents to be exposed to damage or loss, caused by;
- The collapse of television aerials, masts, and satellite dishes,
- Aircraft and other aerial devices or anything that falls from them, and
- Falling of trees except in the event of trees being cut by non-professional tree fellers.
What the Discovery Home Contents Insurance doesn’t cover
There are a number of things and incidents that the Discovery Home Contents Insurance products don’t cover these include:
- Wrongful use of home contents by tenants,
- Accidental damage of home contents while lent,
- Theft or attempted theft of home contents from the building while lent, let sublet or being renovated,
- Scratches, dent, cracks, chips, or defacing
Advantages of Discovery Home Contents Insurance
- There are optional benefits that you can add to your Discovery Home Contents plan and these include:
- Accidental and power surge damage to household contents,
- Goods in the open,
- More than 60 consecutive days unoccupied, and
- Comprehensive subsidence and landslip.
- Home contents insurance plans can be differentiated.
- There are different plans available to choose from.
- Cover amount on home contents can be optimised according to the policyholder’s specifications.
- Home contents are protected from limited flying objects.
Disadvantages of Discovery Home Contents Insurance
- Premiums can be very high on the purple plan.
- There are no premium discounts available.
The Discovery Home Contents Insurance solution offers simple-to-use and understandable products. The most important thing is to understand what you are and are not covered for under the Discovery Home Contents solution so that you can properly prepare and manage your policy.