CAPE TOWN, South Africa – Here’s a look at the top 10 important events and developments happening in South Africa today:
- Supreme Court of Appeal Criticizes JSC’s Defense of Judge Motata: In a significant development, the Supreme Court of Appeal has criticized the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) for its defense of Judge Nkola Motata. The JSC, previously led by Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng, had found that Motata, who was convicted of drunk driving, should not face impeachment despite making racist and sexist comments while intoxicated.
- Zondo Expresses Concern Over State Capture Inaction: Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo has voiced his concern over the lack of progress on the recommendations made by the state capture commission. Zondo also defended the urgency of electoral reform, highlighting its importance in the current political climate.
- SIU Summons Fort Hare’s Former VCs: The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) is reportedly calling in the former Vice-Chancellors of Fort Hare University for a discussion about its degrees for politicians. This move signals a significant step in addressing corruption within the education sector.
- Suspension of Eskom’s Head of Security: Eskom’s head of security, Karen Pillay, has been suspended. The reasons for her suspension remain undisclosed, sparking speculation about internal issues within the state-owned enterprise.
- Fikile Mbalula Acknowledges Ace Magashule’s Troublemaking: Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has publicly acknowledged that Ace Magashule, the suspended Secretary-General of the African National Congress (ANC), is causing unrest within the party. This admission underscores the ongoing internal strife within the ANC.
- Controversy Over Eskom’s R500m Fidelity Security Tender: A new battleground has emerged within Eskom over a R500 million security tender awarded to Fidelity Security Services. Members of Parliament are questioning the legitimacy of the tender, raising concerns about potential corruption.
- FYN Restaurant in Cape Town Receives Global Recognition: FYN Restaurant in Cape Town has been named the best sustainable restaurant in the world. This accolade puts South Africa on the global culinary map and highlights the country’s commitment to sustainable practices.
- Russian Ambassador Sees Opportunity in SA Power Crisis: The Russian ambassador to South Africa has suggested that the country’s electricity supply crisis presents an opportunity for Russian companies to offer their well-developed solutions. This statement indicates potential foreign involvement in addressing South Africa’s energy challenges.
- Vodacom Enables eSIM Support: In a move towards digital transformation, Vodacom has expanded eSIM support to all its customers. This development eliminates the need for a physical SIM card for certain smartphones, simplifying the user experience.
- ANC Warns Ace Magashule Supporters: The African National Congress (ANC) has issued a stern warning to members who have been burning ANC memorabilia and T-shirts in protest of the expulsion of former secretary-general Ace Magashule. This warning signals the ANC’s commitment to maintaining order within its ranks.
Stay tuned for more updates on these and other stories from across South Africa.