Capitec Bank’s Robust Ratios Drive Confidence in Financial Health

  • Capitec Bank Holdings Limited discloses strong capital and liquidity ratios in its quarterly report.
  • Capital Adequacy Ratio: CET1 Capital of R35,063,086,000 (34.1%) and total regulatory capital of R35,920,773,000 (34.9%).
  • Liquidity Coverage Ratio: LCR of 2,092% with high-quality liquid assets totalling R77,087,373,000.
Capitec Bank Announcement

Capitec Bank Holdings Limited (“Capitec”), has announced its compliance with Regulation 43 of the Regulations relating to banks, as well as its adherence to the Basel requirements. In its quarterly disclosure, the bank has revealed impressive capital adequacy, leverage, and liquidity ratios for the first quarter of the financial year ending February 29, 2024.

Under Pillar 3 of the Basel rules, Capitec is obligated to disclose quantitative information on its capital adequacy, leverage, and liquidity ratios on a quarterly basis. This ensures transparency and enhances the trust of stakeholders. The bank’s consolidated capital and liquidity positions as of May 31, 2023, are outlined below:

Capital Adequacy Ratio:

1st Quarter 20244th Quarter 2023
CET1 Capital (R’000)35,063,08635,038,067
Capital Adequacy Ratio34.1%33.6%
General Allowance (R’000)857,687872,831
T2 Capital (R’000)857,687872,831
Total Regulatory Capital (R’000)35,920,77335,910,898
Required Regulatory Capital (R’000)12,341,98112,525,485

Capitec’s Common Equity Tier 1 Capital (CET1) stood at R35,063,086,000 with a capital adequacy ratio of 34.1% in the first quarter of 2024, reflecting a slight improvement from the previous quarter. The bank’s Tier 2 Capital (T2) was reported at R857,687,000 (0.8%), contributing to its overall regulatory capital of R35,920,773,000 (34.9%). Capitec comfortably surpassed the required regulatory capital of R12,341,981,000.

Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR):

1st Quarter 20244th Quarter 2023
High-Quality Liquid Assets (R’000)77,087,37374,946,512
Net Cash Outflows (R’000)3,685,1023,420,878
Actual LCR2,092%2,191%
Required LCR100%100%

Capitec’s liquidity position remains strong, as indicated by its Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) of 2,092% for the first quarter of 2024, surpassing the required LCR of 100%. The bank’s high-quality liquid assets totaled R77,087,373,000, providing a substantial buffer to cover net cash outflows of R3,685,102,000.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
Do you have a news tip for Rateweb reporters? Please email us at


Start trading with a free $30 bonus

Trade stocks, forex, commodities, metals and CFDs on stock indices with an internationally licensed and regulated broker. For all clients who open their first real account, XM offers a $30 trading bonus without any initial deposit needed. Learn more about how you can trade over 1000 instruments on the XM MT4 and MT5 platforms from your PC and Mac, or from a variety of mobile devices.


Personal Financial Tools

Below is a list of tools built to assist South Africans to make the best financial decisions:



South Africa’s primary source of financial tools and information

Contact Us


Rateweb strives to keep its information accurate and up to date. This information may be different than what you see when you visit a financial institution, service provider or specific product’s site. All financial products, shopping products and services are presented without warranty. When evaluating offers, please review the financial institution’s Terms and Conditions.

Rateweb is not a financial service provider and should in no way be seen as one. In compiling the articles for our website due caution was exercised in an attempt to gather information from reliable and accurate sources. The articles are of a general nature and do not purport to offer specialised and or personalised financial or investment advice. Neither the author, nor the publisher, will accept any responsibility for losses, omissions, errors, fortunes or misfortunes that may be suffered by any person that acts or refrains from acting as a result of these articles.